October 25, 2007

You know its bad when when...

I am nervous and have stress due to the upcoming defense of my "dry tome".
As a result, I have had a chronic stomach ache for two days, and all food sits like lumps of clay.
Thus, my appetite is affected. I am usually on of those people who eats because of stress, so this is actually kind of a novelty!


Anyhow, I am currently making one of the few foods that seems appealing (along with yogurt and chees whiz). Chicken broth with nothing in it. I am boiling chicken. Yes, boiled chicken. The most disgusting way to cook meat.

The Man is horrified.

On a technical note, I read a website that describes the generation of a beautiful clear, chinese style broth. The trick is to cook the raw bone bits and meat for 10 minutes and then throwing a way the 10 minute water (yes, throw it away, it has not stewed long enough to absorb flavor) and rinsing off all the meat/bones really well and add fresh water to make the broth. This gets rid of all those gross curdled blood bits and foam that make your broth bitter and bone-tasting. I tried this once and it made the clearest broth I have ever made and it actually tasted like chicken instead of wierd stuff. Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice it to a beef stew, which incidentally, turned out awesome.

1 comment:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

A chicken sacrificed for broth has followed the highest calling.